View from an elevation in front of the Capitol, Nashville, Tenn., looking west over the battle field on the first day of the fight, Dec. 15th, 1864
- Creator: George N. Barnard (1819-1902)
- Title: View from an elevation in front of the Capitol, Nashville, Tenn., looking west over the battle field on the first day of the fight, Dec. 15th, 1864
- Date: 1864
- Description: This stereographic image shows a hillside view of large houses and smaller outbuildings stretching out towards a misty horizon. The standing water, dead-looking vegetation, and leafless trees suggest that the time of year is late fall or early winter. This stereoscopic image was published by E.T. Anthony & Company, New York.
- Historical Note: Barnard was a photographer in the Topographical Branch of the Department of Engineers, Army of the Cumberland, United States Army with offices based at 89 Church Street in Nashville beginning in December 1863. He is known to have photographed federal installations, transportation networks, and battlefields in Tennessee in 1863 and 1864.
- Contributing Institution: Library of Congress
- Rights: Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Library of Congress.
- Digital Publisher: Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University