Fisk[e] University, Nashville, Tennessee
- Title: Fisk[e] University, Nashville, Tennessee
- Date: 1868
- Description: This engraving of Fisk University (the caption on the image is mis-spelled Fisk[e]) depicts a row of buildings with a continuous long porch that appears to be a destination for people of all ages walking, running, and riding in a carriage. The building appears to be in a fenced complex, behind which can be seen a city view houses, other structures, and a smoke stack.
- Historical Note: Note:Fisk Free Colored School was founded in 1866 on the site of the Federal Fort Gillem. Former Union army barracks were used as university buildings until replaced by more permanent structures. The school was named after General Clinton Bowen Fisk, a senior officer in the Freedman's Bureau, who had arrived with Union occupying forces in Nashville in 1862. General Fisk made the barracks available to the American Missionary Association and also allocated $30,000 to the new school. Enrollment topped 900 students in the first year and, in 1867, the school was incorporated as Fisk University. One of these original buildings remains in use today as the Little Theatre.
- Institution: Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Publisher: Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights: Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Tennessee State Library & Archives.
- URL: http://cdm15838.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/shades