Entrance to Confederate Cemetery, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Title: Entrance to Confederate Cemetery, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Description: This stone gate and wall have a rusticated castle-like appearance. An inscription on the cornerstone of the gateway arch reads: "Erected in 1901 by the Daughters of the Confederacy, Chapter 81, Chattanooga, Tennessee, to commemorate the valor and the heroism that our Confederate Soldiers Displayed in the battle for our beloved southland in the war from 1861-1865 in fraternal recognition of N.B. Forrest Camp, UCV."
- Historical Note: Chattanooga's Confederate Cemetery, which holds more than 1100 Confederate burials, sits on three acres of land adjacent to the City Cemetery. Even though a 30 foot monument within Chattanooga's Confederate Cemetery was dedicated by the Ladies Memorial Society on 10 May 1877, this substantial limestone tower and arch and adjacent crenellated wall were not erected until several decades later by a local chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy ( founded 1894) and a male fraternal organization, the United Confederate Veterans (founded 1889).
- Contributing Institution: Library of Congress
- Rights: Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Library of Congress.
- Digital Publisher: Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- URL: http://cdm15838.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/shades