Chattanooga from Lookout Mountain
- Creator: James Hope, (1818-1892)
- Title: Chattanooga from Lookout Mountain
- Date: 1878
- Description: Landscape view of river valley with prominent rock formation at right
- Historical Note: Created more than a decade after the Civil War, this close-up view of a rock formation on Lookout Mountain would have instantly evoked memories of the dramatic Civil War battle in which Union soldiers advanced up from the Tennessee River valley below to defeat Confederate forces holding the high ground on 24 November 1863. The artist, James Hope, served in the Union army as a topographical engineer.
- Contributing Institution: Hunter Museum of American Art
- Rights: Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Hunter Museum of American Art.
- Digital Publisher: Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University