Description: This black and white photograph shows several people on a porch and a man on a horse. The image was published in the History of Homes and Gardens of Tennessee in 1936. It was captioned "from an old photograph: Anderson's, Columbia."
Historical Note: Note:This house was built in 1837 for Leonidas Polk, later known as the "Fighting Bishop" of the Confederacy. Trained at West Point, he entered the ministry and moved with his family to Louisiana in 1841 after his appointment as the Bishop of the Southwest Territory. He sold the house to his younger brother Andrew Jackson Polk whose daughter Antoinette performed a heroic deed during the Civil War by warning Confederate soldiers of an impending Union troop advance.
Institution: Tennessee State Library & Archives
Publisher: Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
Rights: Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact Tennessee State Library & Archives.