[Nashville, Tenn. Hospital for Federal officers (Literary Department, University of Nashville; later Lindsley Hall, Peabody Normal College)]
- Creator:George N. Barnard (1819-1902)
- Title:[Nashville, Tenn. Hospital for Federal officers (Literary Department, University of Nashville; later Lindsley Hall, Peabody Normal College)]
- Description:Massive white crenelated building with figures standing at the front door, on the rooftop, and at a side entrance at far right. Two saddled horses and a covered wagon with two horses stand beside what appears to be a blockhouse. No vegetation is visible.
- Historical Note:This building, the literary department of the University of Nashville, was used as a Federal hospital during the Civil War. It designed by popular Nashville architect and engineer Adolphus Heiman, who joined the Confederate army and helped plan and design Fort Henry. The photograph was taken by George N. Barnard, chief photographer of the Topographical Branch of the Department of Engineers for the Army of the Cumberland, sometime during 1864. Barnard had moved his office to 89 Church Street in Nashville in December 1863 where he carried out orders from Capt. Orlando M. Poe to document the landscape in preparation for map making. He also took the opportunity to photograph strategic buildings like this hospital, the Nashville & Chattanooga railroad depot, Fort Negley, and the Tennessee State Capitol.
- Institution:Library of Congress
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Library of Congress.