Island Home, Dickinson Residence
- Title:Island Home, Dickinson Residence
- Date:ca. 1887
- Description:Well-dressed men, women, and children stroll in the gardens and pathways of this two-story mansion. There are two horse and buggies parked out front.
- Historical Note:This house and formal gardens, on the south side of the Holston (Tennessee) River in Knoxville, was the post-Civil War country home of Perez Dickinson (1813-1901). Dickinson, who had come to Knoxville from Amherst, Massachusetts as an educator, was a successful businessman and partner in the firm of Cowan, McClung & Company when war broke out. A Union loyalist, he left the city, returning afterwards to resume "business as usual" with his brother-in-law James Cowan and former Confederate sympathizers Frank H. and Charles J. McClung.
- Institution:McClung Historical Collection, Knox County Public Library
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the McClung Historical Collection, Knox County Public Library.