Chattanooga Valley from Side of Missionary Ridge
- Creator:Theodore R. Davis (1840-1894)
- Title:Chattanooga Valley from Side of Missionary Ridge
- Description:This scene, rendered in ink and wash, depicts a ravaged-looking forested hillside with a cloud or smoke-shrouded mountain in the distance and smoke also rising from various locations in the valley in between.
- Historical Note:Theodore Davis was a "Special Artist" for news magazines such as Harper's Weekly and Leslie's Illustrated Weekly, illustrating news reports from the front. He was in the Chattanooga area in 1863 and 1864. Davis also made drawings for various publications in the decades after the Civil War. Note the related work, "Chattanooga from the Artists Camp." The image on the canvas resembles this work.
- Institution:Chattanooga History Center
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images , contact the Chattanooga History Center.