Carnton Plantation, Franklin, Tennessee
- Title:Carnton Plantation, Franklin, Tennessee
- Date:circa 1890
- Description:This photograph shows a view of a house with a two story wooden porch. Six people seated on the lower level have numbers inscribed below them that may refer to a key identifying them on the back of photograph.
- Historical Note:This photograph shows the double decks of the back porch at Carnton Plantation decades after the Civil War. Carnton, a large plantation near Franklin, Tennessee, served as an ad hoc hospital during the December 1864 Battle of Franklin. Carrie McGavock, mistress of Carnton, not only helped tend wounded soldiers, she also oversaw the burial of Confederate dead in the family cemetery at Carnton during the weeks and months following the bloody battle.
- Institution:Carnton / Battle of Franklin Trust
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Battle of Franklin Trust.