Carved Wooden Heart
- Title:Carved Wooden Heart
- Date:ca. 1863
- Description:This palm-sized wooden heart-shaped box slides open to reveal a painted snake head and partial body.
- Historical Note:This folk carving was created by an unknown Confederate prisoner-of-war from East Tennessee. It not only reflects the skilled artisanship of a soldier, but also suggests a universal story of wartime heartbreak or deception by a friend, neighbor, or lover.
- Institution:East Tennessee Historical Society
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the East Tennessee Historical Society.