Tennessee Centennial Prize March Sheet Music Cover
- Creator:Maurice Bernhardt
- Title:Tennessee Centennial Prize March Sheet Music Cover
- Description:A color aerial view drawing of the Tennessee Centennial of 1897 showing the various buildings, paths, and attractions. The upper left corner of the cover has a black-and-white photograph of Mrs. Van Leer Kirkman, President of the Woman's Board of the Exposition. A handwritten notation, in ink, is near the top of the cover: "June 25, 1897."
- Historical Note:The Centennial Exposition was a celebration of the state's centennial but it was also an opportunity to honor Civil War veterans in events and displays. Music was an important part of the celebration. "United Confederate Veterans Days" at the Exposition were June 22-24, 1897, coinciding with the 7th Annual Reunion of the United Confederate Veterans (UCV). This sheet music is hand dated on the following day. The march was composed by Maurice Bernhardt, a Memphis resident who submitted his entry as part of a competition organized by The O.K. Houck Company of Memphis. The march was first played in public by Sousa's Peerless Band at the Grand Opera House in Memphis on January 20, 1897.
- Institution:Tennessee State Library & Archives, Kenneth D. Rose Sheet Music Collection
- Publisher:The O.K. Houck Company, Memphis, TN
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Tennessee State Library & Archives.
- Digital Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University