Our Country’s Flag
- Creator:Gumpert, G.
- Title:Our Country’s Flag
- Description:An illustration of a young man in uniform holding a flag on a staff in front of a line of white tents. Printed below the image are the words "Song Composed & Dedicated to His Excellency Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, by G. Gumpert."
- Historical Note:This colorful sheet music cover was published during the first year of the Civil War. Popular music, often played in civic settings, served to build morale as the country mustered for war. It is interesting to note that this song includes lyrics in German, reminding us that many young immigrants and first generation Americans either enlisted or were drafted into the armies on both sides. The young Union soldier holding the flag wears a uniform consisting of a blouse shirt and pants (no jacket) and neither he nor the camp behind him show any signs of the war weariness that set in once the early battles of the Civil War revealed the Confederate army to be a much more serious fighting force than the U.S. Army had anticipated.
- Contributing Institution:Center for Popular Music, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Center for Popular Music, Middle Tennessee State University.
- Digital Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Full Record:http://content.mtsu.edu/u?/shades,273