Newton Cannon Maney in Military School Uniform
- Creator:Carl Casper Giers (1828-1877)
- Title:Newton Cannon Maney in Military School Uniform
- Date:ca. 1862
- Description:Formal studio portrait, in color, of a young man standing with his right hand resting on two books stacked on top of a ornately carved table in front of a painted backdrop of an arched window looking out to a landscape. The beardless young man wears his cap cocked slightly to his right, and his coat is open to reveal a watch chain and wrinkled white shirt. This carte de visite has the name "C Giers" and "Nashville" printed on the lower margin.
- Historical Note:This portrait of Newton Cannon Maney (1849-1934) was taken in the Nashville studio of photographer Carl Giers. Maney grew up at Oaklands Plantation in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The son of one of the prominent families in Middle Tennessee, he was named after his grandfather, Newton Cannon, who had been governor of Tennessee from 1835-1839. Probably too young to have enlisted in the Confederate army, young Maney, who was one of eight children, wears a Confederate-style cap. The short, double breasted jacket has an elaborate insignia on the sleeves that might be useful in idenjpgying the military school he attended. The Maney children saw Murfreesboro change hands several times during the war. In July 1862, the grounds of Oaklands were serving as a Union encampment when soldiers under the command of Nathan Bedford Forrest arrived to capture the town for the Confederacy. A Union officer wounded in the battle was brought into the house for medical treatment. After the Battle of Stones River (late December 1862- early January 1863), Murfreesboro was returned to Union control.
- Institution:Oaklands Historic House Museum
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Oaklands Historic House Museum.