McGavock Confederate Cemetery, Franklin, Tennessee
- Title:McGavock Confederate Cemetery, Franklin, Tennessee
- Description:This photograph depicts the Scobey family women in the McGavock Confederate Cemetery during the Confederate reunion in Franklin, Tenn.
- Historical Note:Carnton plantation served as a field hospital during the 1864 Battle of Franklin. During the war Confederate and Union soldiers were buried by soldiers and workers near the southern edge of what was then Franklin. Later, workers placed wooden grave markers on the Confederate graves. But by the spring of 1866 the condition of the graves had worsened and the risk was great that the identities of the soldiers would be lost. Residents John and Carrie McGavock's concern for the remains led to the setting aside of the land and the reinterment of the soldiers. The McGavock Confederate Cemetery is the nation's largest private Confederate cemetery. Located on 2 acres of the Carnton plantation in Franklin, Tennessee, the cemetery is the burial site for 1481 Confederates killed at the Battle of Franklin. Since 1905 the Carnton Cemetery has been maintained by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
- Contributing Institution:Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:While TSLA houses an item, it does not necessarily hold the copyright on the item, nor may it be able to determine if the item is still protected under current copyright law. Users are solely responsible for determining the existence of such instances and for obtaining any other permissions and paying associated fees that may be necessary for the intended use.