Lucy Virginia Smith French
- Title:Lucy Virginia Smith French
- Date:ca. 1850
- Description:This oval miniature painting, in color depicts a young woman with brown hair pulled back to the nape of her neck, wearing a windowpane checked white and blue dress with a circular neckline and a simple gold necklace.
- Historical Note:Lucy Virginia Smith French (1825-1881) lived in McMinnville and Beersheba Springs, Tennessee, during the Civil War. She was a published writer by the 1850s, and the journals she kept indicate not only a love for home and garden but also an abhorrence of war. A quilt she embroidered for her McMinnville residence, Forest Home, won awards in 1859.
- Contributing Institution:Private Collection, photograph by David Andrews
- Digital Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University