Little Louise Thruston
- Creator:George Dury (1817-1894)
- Title:Little Louise Thruston
- Date:ca. 1874
- Description:Oval portrait of a young blonde girl in a white dress holding a bunch of roses to her chest.
- Historical Note:This is apparently a mourning portrait of Louise Thruston, the daughter of Gates P. Thruston and Ida Hamilton, who died in 1874 at the age of four. She wears an off shoulder white garment and appears as if she is standing inside a cloud. Thruston, a former Union officer, married the daughter of a prominent Nashville family soon after the Civil War. He was a founding member of the Nashville Art Association, predecessor of the Nashville Museum of Art, whose collection now belongs to Cheekwood Museum of Art.
- Institution:Cheekwood Botanical Garden & Museum of Art
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Cheekwood Botanical Garden & Museum of Art.