Hazen Monument, Stones River National Battlefield
- Title:Hazen Monument, Stones River National Battlefield
- Date:ca. 1890
- Description:Men in suits and women in white dresses visit a monument surrounded by a stone wall. A child on horseback stands behind the procession of visitors at right.
- Historical Note:One of the earliest cemeteries on a Civil War battlefield surrounds the Hazen Monument at Stones River National Battlefield in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The monument is built of local limestone and was constructed by soldiers soon after the Battle of Stones River in order to honor recently fallen comrades in Hazen's Brigade and those killed at the Battle of Shiloh in preceding months. The monument is flanked by tombstones and surrounded by a low limestone wall. These formally dressed visitors are likely making a commemorative pilgrimage to the monument and graveyard.
- Institution:Stones River National Battlefield
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only.