General Grant and Staff on Lookout Mountain
- Creator:Royan M. Linn (d. 1872)
- Title:General Grant and Staff on Lookout Mountain
- Description:General Ulysses S. Grant on Lookout Mountain near Missionary Ridge in 1863. Four men in uniform pose near the edge of the cliff, while one sits further back on the path. The other four are identified, left to right, as General John A. Rawlins, General J. D. Webster, Colonel Clark B. Lagow, and Colonel Killyer.
- Historical Note:In September 1863, the Union brigade holding Chattanooga since that summer was sequestered by Confederate General James Longstreet's troops. General Grant seized Brown's Ferry as well as Wauhatchie, opening up a supply line to the beleaguered Union troops. General Hooker then attacked Lookout Mountain in what became known as "The Battle above the Clouds" on November 25.
- Institution:Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Tennessee State Library & Archives.
- Digital Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University