Frances Matilda Batey Sampler, 1862
- Creator:Batey, Frances Matilda (1842-1926)
- Title:Frances Matilda Batey Sampler, 1862
- Description:This sampler contains an alphabet in different types of lettering along with initials of family members and the date 13 February 1862. The border contains flowers. Bibles are located at three corners and a hymn book is at the bottom left corner.
- Historical Note:Frances Matilda Batey (1842-1926) was a graduate of Mr. and Mrs. Tolbert Fanning's Franklin College, near Nashville, Tennessee. She was twenty years old when she finished her sampler. During the war, young women with needle skills often contributed to the war effort by making flags, clothing and bandages. Frances, called Fanny, later married Confederate veteran Columbus Lafayette Brittain.
- Institution:Tennessee Sampler Survey
- Publisher:Digital Initiatives, James E. Walker Library, Middle Tennessee State University
- Rights:Images reproduced on this website are intended for individual, educational use only. For research inquiries about specific objects or requests for high resolution images, contact the Tennessee Sampler Survey.